Annons:
Tagminimalist-living
Read 775 times
Leia
2019-02-15 00:27

What is a minimalist lifestyle?

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

'Minimalist' is a phrase that has grown in popularity over recent years. Most simply "when you call a person a minimalist, you're describing their interest in keeping things very simple. A minimalist prefers the minimal amount or degree of something." (Vocabulary.com). However, for others such as  theminimalists.com, "minimalism is a tool that can assist you in finding freedom, [which] doesn’t mean there’s anything inherently wrong with owning material possessions."

There are a whole variety of definitions out there, but I have found that minimalism means different things to different people. What does Minimalist Living mean to you? or is there a definition out there which you think cannot be contested?

Photo by Bench Accounting on Unsplash

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Niklas
2019-02-18 12:12

I think that to me minimalism is to have only what you need and want and to not excess in the “want” department. I feel better without too many distractions around me as I easily loose my focus. One thing that I find often is in conflict with minimalism, is children. 🙂 They are given things by parents and grand parents all the time and they get everywhere.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2019-02-18 15:47

#1 I can imagine how hard it must be to engage in minimalism and at the same time have kids. In a world consumed by materialistic things, it must be hard to say no when they ask for games, clothes etc that everyone at school has. 

For me, minimalism is a means to reclaim my time for the important things in life as well as eliminate my discontent. For instance, I have tried to stop buying into fast fashion, it takes so much time deciding what to wear and just when you think you've caught onto the trend the next one is already out and your behind feeling not good enough. By using multipurpose basic items I have become happier in myself, no longer do I match my self-worth to the clothes I wear or constantly compare myself to the models on Instagram. 

"Be happier with less" that is my motto to minimalism.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Niklas
2019-02-19 10:25

#2: I think most people don't understand how much time owning many things take. You have to make room for and put them somewhere, you have to make sure they are kept safe and insured, you have to pack and move them when you move to larger houses, you have to dust them, You have to remember them when you make insurance claims when they are stolen or damaged, you have to see them laying around the house creating distractions. Are they worth all this? 🙂Then they should be quite fantastic.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: