Annons:
Tagminimalist-living
Read 1019 times
Leia
2019-02-21 14:38

Living with a Non-Minimalist

Past discussions have indirectly raised the question, how to live with a non-minimalist? This video shares some of the ways, the previously mentioned Matt D'Avella, lives as a minimalist with his non-minimalist girlfriend, Natalie. 

To summarise, they advise not to put pressure on trying to change your partner, instead lead by example and you may find they wil start adopting some of the same prinicples, if not practices that you do, mutual respect is key. Moreover, they stress that you are indivuals and will have different priorities, for instance, Matt doesn't believe you need lots of clothes, but he does have lots of camera equipment. However, Natalie gets enjoyment from having a range of clothes so Matt makes a conscious effort to respect that. Lastly, a major point was to concentrate on the big things together, such as buying furniture, by focusing on the big things, you may find minimalism will follow in other areas. 

How do you live with a non-minimalist?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Niklas
2019-02-21 16:26

Åsa is much more important to me than minimalism. I would never try to force it on her. On the other hand, I'm also lucky that she is good at minimalism. If not for herself, she does it for me. She knows it makes me feel better and function better. She may actually be better than me at being minimalist. That said, she also has a habit of buying lots of stuff for everyone in the family, especially our 8-year-old son. She loves buying and giving presents. I am guessing that our son has about 2 ㎡ of stuffed animals. They end up everywhere and gather dust. It is my responsibility to vacuum so everything that lay on the floor annoys me, unless its furniture. I am also responsible for doing the laundry, so everything that ends up in the laundry, without being ”used”, annoys me too. I can barely keep up with the laundry even without cleaning stuffed animals. 🙂 My advice for someone moving in with a non-minimalist would be to talk about what minimalism is, why you think it is good and what parts of it you can agree to adopt in your home. It's not about only having things that are white. 😀

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Emo
2019-02-21 16:36

I have a lot of good-to-have -things and often I can find what I need at home. My husband has got to be used to it. When there shows a castle on the TV he supposes I could have filled it in a short time if I had own it.

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Leia
2019-02-23 00:15

#1 I used to be obsessed with stuffed animals when I was younger, they have since been stored in the loft and now I've got to sort through them all as I am moving. I feel like they don't have any sentimental value now I'm following a more minimalist lifestyle so I'm happy to give them away to other children who will get enjoyment out of them!

#2 What items do you like to keep Emo?🙂

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Emo
2019-02-23 04:57

#3 Almost everything. You never know when something is good to have. So many things can be useful in another way as they were made for. 
We live on a little amount of money ansd still use things we bought in the 60-ties.

To be a minimalist should be to expensive to us. If you don't have the right tool when someting is needed to be fixed, you have to pay someone else to fix (repair) it or buy some new ones.

If you don't have the items to make everything easier in the household, it is expensive to buy what is made in factorys. 
If you don't buy things cheap when there is a sale, you have to pay more for them when you need them some years later.

I could have listed so much more. Just think of what you need in the garden.

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

jordan
2019-02-25 22:33

My mum finds it hard to get rid of things, and I think that has transcended on the rest of the family Laughing

Maybe soon I will live with a minimalist (or even be one myself), but not at the moment at least. I can imagine the difficult scenarios that might arise between a non-minimalist and a minimalist.

Niklas
2019-02-26 10:05

#5: Is it an active choice of yours to keep things?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
jordan
2019-02-28 00:56

#6 I guess? I always think about a scenario in my head where I 'might' need something in the future, which is a bad habit for sure.

Niklas
2019-02-28 11:03

#7: I was brought up thinking like that. I don't think it's a bad thing at all, it's just that it doesn't work for me with all the clutter it creates. In the long run, perhaps one in twenty things saved were used or repurposed some time in the future. That created a mountain of things not used for very long times. Now, instead, I give things away to family, relatives, friends, charities and the local waste depot. That makes them someone else's responsibility/problem. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: